Learn about the different settings, changing pronunciations and editing options available within AAC Speak.
A pronunciation is added where the current pronunciation needs improving. Often this is achieved by adding additional letters or spaces on a trial and error basis until you get the right result. An example would be to add the spelling “fah he tass“ if the word “fajitas” is added.
- Press the ‘+’ option to create a pronunciation.
- Enter the word you wish to change the pronunciation.
- Enter a new spelling to try and improve the pronunciation.
- Press test if you wish to hear the outcome before saving.
- Press save to save the pronunciation.
- Button Click Sound – Select to hear a click when every key is pressed [Default Off].
- Allow Editing – Select if you want to prohibit editing of an editable vocab [Default On].
- Speak on word selection – Select if you want speech output for each word selected rather than only when the Speech Display Bar is pressed [Default On].
Speech Display Bar
- Voice – all Apple selectable voices are available. The voices cover a range of languages. The best for English are: Alex, Daniel, Karen, Mei-Jia, Melina, Moria, Samantha, Sin-Ji, Tessa, Ting-Ting [Default Karen]
- Allow Copy / Paste – Select to allow copy/paste (by long press) of words in the Speech Display Bar [Default Off].
- Auto Capitalisation – Select if you want the first word the first sentence to be a capital [Default On]. This only applies to the first word of the message.
- Auto Add Space – Select to ensure a space after each selected word is inserted [Default On].
- Show Icons – Select to show icons as well as text in the Speech Display Bar [Default On].
- Hide Delete Button – Select to remove the Delete Button to stop accidental use [Default Off].
- Font – Select an alternative font style in the Speech Display Bar if desired.
- Font Size – Increase of decrease the font size within the Speech Display Bar.
- Font Colour – The Speech Display Bar font colour can be changed using this option.
- Number of Lines – If No Icons have been selected, the text only Speech Display Bar can be increased from 1 to 2 or 3 lines.
Button Display Options
- Highlight Touch – This option creates a blue button background when a cell is pressed [Default Off].
- Hide All Icons – This option allows you to set the buttons to show either ‘Icons & Text’ or ‘Text Only’ or ‘Icons Only’ [Default Icons & Text].
- Show Hidden Buttons – This option will reveal any buttons set at ‘Invisible’ (in Button Edit) when in Edit Mode.
- Check for updates… If updates are made to the default vocabs or new vocabs launched, these will be accessible by running this update option.
Visit support site.
- This option takes you to Liberator’s website, the creator of AAC Speak, where you can find support information as well as a wide range of other AAC products, from ‘no-tech’ to ‘high tech’.
3. Menu -> Edit
This option is only available in copied versions of a vocab. When you select ‘Menu’ in a copied vocab you will see that the 3rd option is now ‘Edit’.
- When selecting ‘Edit’ you will notice that the strip where ‘Vocab’ and ‘Edit’ are located turns pink. This is to highlight that you are now in Edit Mode.
- Reselect Edit to view the Edit Menu.
- Page Name – enter or change a page name.
- Rows On Page – set from 1 to 7 rows.
- Columns On Page – set from 1 to 10 columns.
- Make Home Page – sets as the page the ‘Goto Home Page’ key goes to.
- Button Text (applies to all pages)
- Change Text – tap/drag button to turn green and allow changes.
- Font – allows use of different font types.
- Font Size – can be changed from 10 to 60 Point.
- Font Colour – select a different colour if required.
- Bold Text – change all text to bold.
- Italic Text – change all text to italic.
- Border Settings (applies to all pages)
Background Colour – a different colour can be used (default white), buttons have to be set to ‘Transparent’ for the new colour to be revealed.
Background Image – a picture can be added to the page and revealed by changing buttons to ‘Transparent’.
- Change Border – tap/drag button to turn green and allow changes.
- Border Width – can be changed from 1 to 10 Point.
- Border Colour – select a different colour if required.
- Delete Page – all pages can be deleted apart from the page that is set as the ‘Home’ page.
- Add New Page – all settings as per ‘Edit Page’
- Hide Mode – select to activate ‘Hide Mode’
Finish Editing – When you have finished editing select this option and the pink Vocab/Menu bar will turn from pink to grey.
Visit support site… – The support site can be accessed from this option.
- Press ‘Menu’ again to reveal the ‘Hide Mode’ menu.
- Hide All
- This grey’s out all the buttons on the page you are on.
- Tap the buttons you wish to retain.
- Press Menu -> Leave Hide Mode to use vocab with buttons hidden.
- Hide None
- If any buttons are hidden this will unhide them.
- To hide any buttons in this state just tap the buttons to hide.
- Press Menu -> Leave Hide Mode to use vocab with buttons hidden.
- Leave Hide Mode – Take you out of hide mode.
- Visit support site… – The support site can be accessed from this option.
- With this toll you can therefore hide all buttons and reveal the ones you want (best if you only want to use a few buttons) or hide none and just tap the ones you want to hide (best if you only want to hide a few buttons).
4. Edit Buttons
- Whilst in ‘Edit Mode’ (Menu -> Edit) tap the button you want to edit.
- Another menu will appear next to the button with 3 options (Edit, Delete and Copy)
- Edit Button
- Label – add/change the text shown in the button.
- Message – add/ change the word spoken on button press.
- Button Action – this tells the button what to do on button press.
- No action – does nothing.
- Clear Display – clears anything contained in the ‘Speech Display Bar’.
- Delete Character – will cause the last character to be deleted from the ‘Speech Display Bar’.
- Delete Word – will cause the last word to be deleted from the ‘Speech Display Bar’.
- Word Form (1 to 6) – sets the button to be a word form (see below).
- Goto Home Page – will take you to the page set as the ‘Home Page’.
- Goto Page – with this action you can link to any page that exists.
- Space – adds a space in the ‘Speech Display Bar’ once button is pressed.
- Speak Sentence – this allows a button to be set to speck what is in the ‘Speech Display Bar’ (the same as touching the ‘Speech Display Bar’).
- Volume Up – increases the volume to the device current volume setting.
- Volume Down – decreases the volume down to zero.
- Speak / Home – once the button is pressed, the word will be spoken the Home Page retrieved.
- Speak / Stay – this enables the button to speak the word and stay on the same page.
- Word Form (1 to 6)
- Each button can link to another button with ‘Word Forms’.
- If a button doesn’t have a Word Form, press it once to say for example the word “go” and that word is spoken immediately.
- If however you want to be able to say either “goes” or “going” as well as “go”, rather than having pages and pages to deal with the word endings, word forms deals with this efficiently.
- Enter “goes” and “going” in either of the Word Form actions. Set 2 spare buttons to be word form button actions (see above).
- When “go” is now pressed it will not speak immediately but will give you the chose to press that button again to speak or press the 2 new Word Form buttons to say either “goes” or “going”.
- Examples of using Word Forms can be seen in the non-speaking 28-Extended and 60-Extended demo Vocabs.
- Camera – take a photo with your device to use as a button image.
- Gallery – select an image from your personal device gallery.
- from this menu you can access 1,000 Clarity icons which are stored alpha/numeric.
- In addition any images added by Camera will be available to reselect in the ‘Imported’ folder.
- Clear – this will remove the selected image.
- Label On Top – a button label can be moved from the bottom to the top of a button.
- Bold Text – change text to bold.
- Italic Text – change text to italic.
- Transparent – change button to transparent to allow background image or new colour to be visible.
- Visible – on as a default but switch off to hide a button on a more permanent basis (use Hide Mode for short term activities).
- Font – select a new button label font style from a range of styles.
- Font Size – change from 10 to 60 Point.
- Text Colour – select a different colour if required
- Background Colour – change the background colour of the button from a range of colours.
- Border Colour – change the border colour from a range of colours.
- Border Width – change the border width from 1 to 10 Point.
For all changes be sure to press Save (at the top of the edit options) to apply the changes, or Cancel to abandon the changes.